spicesign

spicesign

Saturday, February 7, 2015

What Mutable Quality?

Precisely what mutable quality this blog will have can only be demonstrated and not predicted.  The dictionary definition of mutable, taken from www.dictionary.com:
mutable
[myoo-tuh-buh l] 
adjective
1.liable or subject to change or alteration.
2.given to changing; constantly changing; fickle or inconstant:the mutable ways of fortune.
"Mutable" is, I think, a nice way of saying "flighty", which is me.  It only makes sense that my blog be a reflection of that, the good and bad sides of following one passion after another.  Though I often follow them no farther than to the library, to learn about them, it seems I’m always chasing something. 
My poor, long-suffering husband has been dealing with my flightiness for almost 19 years now, over 14 of those as my spouse.  He has seen me invest immense amounts of time and money into interest after interest, only to see them get pushed to the back burner by something else springing to the forefront. Fortunately, though, he has also been around long enough to know that there are a few subjects that get cycled through repeatedly.  They come and they go, but they generally come again, and bring with them the opportunity to use all the things I acquired the previous go around.  
I have a room in my house that has been three “different” rooms in the last 3 months.  It was a craft room, then an exercise room, now a writing room… but in reality it’s a “Whatever Cat Is In The Mood For” room.  A room-of-all-trades, if you will.  I find that, whatever my current obsession, I enjoy it more when I enjoy it in dedicated space.  Even if that dedicated space was dedicated to something else last week.  
I created a new Gmail and new Tumblr account under the name AGeminiCat, because… well, because I am a Gemini, my name is Cat… and I perfectly fit the description of a Gemini, as illustrated by two quotes taken from www.astrology.com.  The first…
"The driving force behind a Gemini’s conversation is their mind. The Gemini-born are intellectually inclined, forever probing people and places in search of information. The more information a Gemini collects, the better. Sharing that information later on with those they love is also a lot of fun, for Geminis are supremely interested in developing their relationships."
and also…
"They can be wishy-washy, too, changing their mood on a simple whim. It’s this characteristic which readily suggests the Mutable Quality assigned to this sign. Mutable folks are flexible and go with the flow. Further, the Twins are adaptable and dexterous and can tackle many things at once. It’s a good thing, too, when you consider their myriad interests. The downside of such a curious mind, however, can be a lack of follow-through. How much can any one person do, anyway?"
When I told my husband the name I had chosen, he replied that a blog chronicling my many and fleeting interests would be a great way for me to write, while also developing my passion for the passion-du-jour.  It was at that point I knew I had struck gold… or something shiny… and thus, the blog was born.  
Though I would love for people to get something out of the blog, or enjoy it, I realize it won’t be for everyone.  It won’t always be about the same things, and sometimes may not even seem to have been written by the same person.  In different moods, I think and write differently.  In the past, this has made it very difficult to create a coherent blog.  This time I’m showcasing the fact I’m not always easy to follow.
And with that, I launch onto the interwebs, the first post on A Mutable Quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment